Thursday, September 10, 2009

A KISS To Remember

For the past 3 days, I have been trying to pick out a paint color for the bedroom. So, once again I stopped by the paint store the other day, and picked a clor - the color looked light green, a color I would call "Seafoam." The paint supplier called it "Reef." My friend said it looked gray as we painted it, and in the bedroom lighting, I just stepped back and called it "Yuck." Still a work in progress...

So what does this have to do with anything? Well, it just pointed out to me once again that we all see and understand things differently... How many times do we describe something and know exactly what we mean, but the person we are attempting to communicate with takes what we said an entirely different way?

I like to think of myself as not that old, yet I remember letters to the editors of printed newspapers and magazines as how we used to express ourselves and we were lucky to get it printed. Now with the Internet there is an explosion of expressible communications between people, who never before would have been able to talk to each other, yet what is really being said... With just a few keystrokes we can read more information and opinions and contribute our own views just as easily, yet, we are so often misunderstood.

An important rule to always remember in communication is the KISS--Keep It Simple and Short. So many times, I find I can get caught up in my industry's jargon or slang, I know what I'm saying, so do coworkers, but when that glazed look comes over your client's eyes, I know it's time to stop, rewind, simplify and try again.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." ~Anais Nin. Writer and diarist 1903-1977 ~

Join Communication Coach Sharon Sayler Tuesday's at 10am Pacific for "Beyond Lip Service" on Blog Talk Radio for useful strategies on relationships, communication and success within your "inner-game."

Sharon MBA, business consultant, writer and non-verbal presentation coach, she teaches you how to speak and present to be remembered by making your body language say the same message as your mouth. She is counsel and coach to authors, speakers and executives who want to be more than "just a competent presenter." http://www.sharonsayler.com

No comments: